Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Tuesday's March of the Funny Hats

Who decided to have tea party and not invite me???
No, it’s not Boston, but could it be the Mad Hatter?? I mean lately, when I check out the news, all I am seeing is a bunch of funny hats and I’m left wondering, “What gives”—need I make a call to Madonna to find out what’s causing the commotion?

Who knew that religion would be the culprit behind this strange “fedora phenomena”? There are a lot of things that can be said about religion, and most of it will be debatable according to your views, but one thing that has to be noted is religion sure has the market on reasons to wear funny hats!

Let’s just look at current events: Easter, one wedding and a funeral. All of these events happen to have highly religious overtones and wacky hats too boot! What proper lady would dare go off to Easter service and not be wearing a bonnet at least the size of small luggage or Delaware? It’s just not right! The bigger the hat, the better! I think privately the motto must be “the bigger the brim, the closer you get to Him”.

Now, of course the burial of the pope is going to be religious—duh! But what’s up with all the funny pointed hats? I thought the term “10 gallon” had to do with cowboy hats, but when you check out the size and variety of head gear the people of the Vatican are wearing, I say the Vatican must also double as a tent company! The most common refrain coming from The Holy See this week is “I can’t see past the dude’s hat in front of me”.

And, as for the wedding (more about them next week…), poor chaps had to move the date because of the Pope’s burial. But if you have ever been to an English Wedding (or seen one in a movie…) it’s all about the hats. I’d like to think that it’s just a British thing, but after watching all the pomp and circumstance around the Pope, I’m guessing it’s a tradition they picked up from the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Now, please don’t think I have a thing against hats…I love them! Next to pets and children, I think hats make wonderful accessories…but must they be so big and busy? Like kids, aren’t they best to be seen, but not heard? Some of these hats speak volumes!!!

No comments: