Monday, March 17, 2008

on my radar: F-2



So the tornado that blew through Atlanta on Friday kindly decided to stop blocks prior to my loft complex-phew!! I knew there was a reason I didn't buy the condo where Dorothy Gale lives! If you drew a line from the start of the tornado and followed it to the end of its path (6 miles long, cutting a swath 200 yards wide, rated an F-2 on the EF scale, about 130 mph winds) you would have stopped less than 2blocks from my humble abode.

I live in the historic Cabbage Town district, the one that got ripped by the storms that passed through the past few days. There's debris everywhere and gawkers galore- I'm not sure which is more annoying. Fortunately, my complex is intact, save for the aforementioned debris from the Cotton Mill lofts (that's the building getting all the press where portions of it just collapsed), which are just down the street. The restaurant one block south lost its roof- I think I found it in our parking lot. Not to make light of that damage, but the restaurant was so terribly smokie, this should help air it out!

It's amazing no one got hurt, but given that it was a Friday night, what sensible Atlantan would be caught at home so early (9.45pm) in the evening? I believe it's our good sense for partying, and a crappy ball game by MSU (the Alabama vs. Mississippi State SEC basketball game went into overtime; police say that the extended ball game kept thousands off the street when the tornado hit) that saved everybody. There were only 8 minutes between the warning and the touchdown. Come to think of it, Luke Perry had a bullriding movie called "8 seconds", how ironic is that two disasters could sound so close!

So the cleanup is now well underway and people are telling their stories about the "new night the lights went out in Georgia", or about their property that's gone with the wind...and contrary to many assertions, I must be a good witch!

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Wow... that is CRAZY. I didn't know you lived in Tornado alley; when does the season start, or are you at the mercy of Mother Nature?

EF said...

That's the thing, we aren't in the alley...Birmingham is smack in the middle, but this is the first time ATL has ever been hit by a twister.
And the season is March-May, so it's just warming up! It could be a bumpy ride!

Radioactive Tori said...

I am so glad you are safe!

egan said...

Yeah, I'm hella glad you're safe. Maybe you need to come west and see your new niece.

EF said...

I guess this just proves my friends wrong, I must be a good witch!

Ah, my niece...I can't wait to see her!

Princess Pointful said...

2 blocks?! My God!
Despite living so far away from anywhere a tornado has touched down, I have an unnatural fear of them. Too many Oz novels growing up, I guess.