Tuesday, November 13, 2007

on my radar: Using My Religion

It has been pretty well documented that there ain't been many rainy nights in Georgia this year, despite what some songs may imply. So what is a state to do when ya love a rainy night but you just don't have any thunder or lightening lighting up the skies? Gov. Sonny Perdue has taken the lyrics of Tina Turner to heart and has determined to, "break all the rules" which essentially is to eliminate any perception that there is such thing as a "separation of church and state" in the South and has scheduled an interfaith "pray for rain" assembly meeting. While the local media is teaching us how to conserve, the Governor has decided to bring on the rain by telling us all to pray(not like it has worked for Alabama).

There's all types of wrong with this approach- far be it from me to point them out, but I do wonder if any rain dancers were invited. If I were to believe that praying and chanting for the cause would work, I would hope Native American rain makers were thought of- I think they would be the most likely to succeed!

What I find interesting, if you buy into this logic, is the simplicity of the answer is what MaDonna, an unlikely beacon of religion, has always preached; wants some rain? It's like a prayer!

Where is St Jude when ya really need him?

So, if you are like that, say a little prayer for rain and keep the devil of a dryspell from staying down in Georgia! Or vote for a new Govenor...either action will have about the same logical impact on our weather!

Is praying for rain on the days the weather forecast includes possible precipitation "praying fair?"

6 comments:

egan said...

Today's forecast, partly cloudy with a chance of prayer.

Prayer heals everything. It's amazing how one team wins the Super Bowl each year. Aren't their fans and players on each side tugging for God's support?

I'm going to pray for your speedy recovery.

EF said...

I always knew god was a Colts fan (in 2007), this year he's switched to the Patriots, obviously. Fickle deity, eh? And Mariah ought to quit invoking his name b/c she ain't got the grammy wins to prove his love!

Thanks for your thoughts bro!

egan said...

You're more than welcome. I want God on my side if I have to go under the knife. I also want him on my side if I end up in jail for snorting cocaine.

egan said...

Any rain yet? I will pray when I go to bed. I'm also going to pray for glaciers to stop melting at an alarming rate. Thank me later.

Radioactive Tori said...

Thanks for the advice on the pina colada...I'll avoid that one.

I hope you are doing well. Was it laparoscopic? That is how I had my ovary removed last year and they said it was almost exactly the same recovery as if I had my appendix taken out. I hope you recover fast!

EF said...

does no rain = god's unanswered prayers?

The storm you had is rolling our way...does it count if rain was predicted prior to the prayer vigil?

Radio- yes, it was laparoscopic. I am trying to be a good patient, but I have to say, lying around all day watching tv does motivate me to be back at work!