Thursday, September 20, 2007

on my radar: whiter shade of pale


So I went into my local Sherwin-Williams store the other day, hoping to redo the walls of my condo. Do you know how many different shades of white there are? Holy Crap! Not only is there "eggshell" and "sandy beach", but there's "Mariah Carey" and "Barak Obama" right alongside "Martha Stewart" and "red-headed skin tone". Well, as much as I liked Obama, apparently he is just too white for my space, Jesse Jackson's too it appears!


This is just driving me crazy, how racist is it to tell someone they are "acting too white?" This is what Jesse called Obama over his "lack" of enough reaction to the "Jena 6" story. Are there white and black protocols I don't know about when it come to reacting to injustices done to people? If I, for one minute, were to say Al Sharpton is just being "too black" about how he's handling the whole thing, I'd be deemed racist, so why is it okay to say it in reverse? Will Jesse Jackson rename the President's house the Obama House or is that too white?


On a side note, when the President first heard about the Louisiana ordeal, he called Laura up to as why Jenna was down there having sex with six guys.

7 comments:

Radioactive Tori said...

I agree. I am not fond of the double standars where it is ok to call someone too white, or comment on a white persons race at all, where if you even mention anything about someone who is black, it is immediately considered racist. We should take a lesson from kids though and just take it as something similar to eye color. Who cares if someone has brown eyes or blue eyes, white skin, brown skin, purple skin (although that might be sort of cool to see). I don't see how a person acts can be considered any particular color.

megabrooke said...

that double standard thing is really bogus. and it happens so often lately it seems.
so what color did you pick for your walls?

EF said...

Darn double standards! When will color ever not be an issue?

I went with Shelley Winter white...:-)

Airam said...

I'm not sure about all those different shades of white but damn is "whiter shade of pale" ever a good song.

egan said...

Hey, I saw Obama didn't vote on the stupid Moveon.org thing. I like him even more. What a PR stunt that was, shame on the Repubs.

EF said...

Airam...especially Annie Lennox's version!

Egan- Thank You! What a dumb stunt to vote on a freedom of speech issue! Glad the Senate could find the time to vote on an issue of substance...

egan said...

Seriously, Mrs. Lessinges and I couldn't figure out what "condemning" the MoveOn.org ad even means. Are we stamping out free speech? Can we vote to remove pro life protestors in front of Planned Parenthoods?