Thursday, April 10, 2008

on my radar: Noble Causes


Sometimes I wish that I could stop you from talking
when I hear the silly things that you say.
I think somebody better put out the big light,
cause I can't stand to see you this way.

Ryan Seacrest, I know this world is killing you.
Oh, Ryan, my aim is true.
My aim is true.


All apologies Elvis Costello and "Alison"

God "American Idol" sucked! Yeah, they gave back and that is great, don't get me wrong, but that show just sucked. It is a noble cause to raise money ($22m!), but they executed that plan so randomly- it looked like photo ops for most of the stars and the juxtaposition of "charity videos" and humorous skits just fell flat. It's like having Michael Richards give an MLK Jr eulogy.

Annie and Bono rock like Prudential! But the rest (hey there Miley, you jail bait chanteuse, work the stripper pole next time, Pussycat Dolls await you!) just didn't work.

And what annoyed me the most was Mr. Seacrest quipping about how children should never have to see tragedy in the world- referring to the Katrina victims. Tragedy is sad, but to mask reality from kids is just wrong. We all need to understand life and death, good and bad, tragedy and triumphs...that's what living is all about. Shielding kids from the world only produces Carrot Tops and Britney Spears...I'd like to be grounded in reality....where are Lauren and Audrina when I need them?

2 comments:

egan said...

It was kind of odd how they eliminated Mr. Johns, a fellow Georgian. I really can't get a good read on whether Seacrest is a tool or not. Much of it seems like an act because he appears normal on his E! show.

Radioactive Tori said...

I was really sad that Ryan kind of taunted Michael Johns by saying that last time they eliminated no one at this stage but ha ha ha you are going home anyway. (Not exact words of course).

I didn't even watch the idol gives back episode because I had a feeling it wouldn't be great. The giving back idea of it is great though.

Kids need to live in reality, and reality is sometimes bad. Of course it needs to be presented in an age appropriate way, but you can't just hide kids away from the badness of the world and think anything good will come of that!