Tuesday, July 01, 2008

on my radar: patriotism


Just what is a Patriot? The march towards 1600 Penn., the 4th of July and the Olympics got me all Michelle Obama as an adult!

What defines a Patriot most?

Must you wear more American flair on your lapel than a trainee waiter at TGIFridays?
Would all the metal that you brandish cause security delays trying to pass through a metal detector at school/work/airport? Do you need to wake-up an hour earlier just to get all your merchandise on?

Should the clothes you wear be only in hues of red, white and blue? Or should you look like one of Ralph Lauren's "Polo" models lounging poolside at some huge mansion in the Hampton's, or trekking across a dune in search of the perfect photo op/picnic place to break bread with the Kennedy's? Nothing speaks of Americana more than POLO and Kennedy's (unless you favor Calvin Klein, Republicans, or Mary Jo Kopechne).

If I whistle Estelle's "American Boy" all day, would that do the trick, or must I add "American Pie", "Coming to America", "Born in the USA", and "Little Pink Houses" (Mr Cougar so speaks to the heartland and Chevy truck owners)?

I could paint my face like a rabid soccer fan, but that's not quite an American sport (sorry Becks old chap) and I would lose credibility.

Perhaps I write a play, and call it "The Patriot Act", would that do the trick or would I be plagiarizing (not GWB, but "The Crucible")?

It's just so hard to know how to prove I am a Patriot, good thing to know I have politicians who can do that for me! Viva la American!

Maybe I'll just wear a Tom Brady jersey...


2 comments:

egan said...

I had similar thoughts about patriotism. Must we wave the flag like we're panhandling to be patriots? Being an American is being able to speak our mind.

EF said...

Eg-maybe we should only be able to wear red white and blue colors, or would people think we were british or australian?