Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Marathon Madness


Have you noticed that anything that now happens during the month of March has to be described as "madness?"

"Sears' March blow-out sale! Everything must go! It's MADNESS!"

Perhaps that is why Atlanta holds one of its marathons during the month of March, because to run 26.2 miles in a row, without the fate of a city hanging in the balance of you completing, or failing, in your mission, seems to be a decision of "utter madness" to me.

Apparently that view isn't shared by everyone, since I was forced to adjust my driving route (of 3 miles)for getting to and from the park, where the marathon happened to be staged. Yes, there I was, stuck in traffic, trying to negotiate the closed-off streets and red-lights with a bunch of pedestrians/runners who would have better served the city if they'd just gotten into their cars and driven around the town ("hey, gas is cheap again- use it or lose it!"), like I was, instead of hogging up the streets and sidewalks with their Nike, Adidas, and New Balance outfits, running for the "health" of it. Their "health inducing traffic jams" did little for the blood pressure and patience of anyone not participating in their little endeavor-so selfish and inconsiderate of them! "Ooh, look at our exclusive clique of runners going soo much faster than you on the streets today." Well at least I could listen to my music in the car and not be inhaling pollen! We'll see who wheezes last!

It was quite a cold day, for late March, in the A-town (clearly even Mother Nature was doing her part to try and stop the madness, by way of extreme temperatures!), and I was really expecting to see a lot more Uggs and bling being worn by the runners than I actually witnessed. I thought my city was more cutting-edge than just the usual spandex and running-shoe crowd I witnessed. Bummer. Maybe next year? At least consider wearing jeans shorts and crocs!

I'd consider running a marathon, but then I'd rethink it pretty quickly. I'm afraid I'd be stuck next to Zola Budd and she'd trip me near the finish, or Katie Holmes would kick my ass, running in a pair of Easy Spirits and a Nicole Miller ensemble- bitch!

I'll stick to creating traffic the good old-fashion way, in my car!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Congratulations for your writings. I liked them very much! :-)
Breno.

egan said...

You're just jealous. So you're one of those who gets annoyed during a road race and honks while the runners are focussing on their run?

I think you should try a half marathon first and then go for the 26.2 goodness.