Friday, February 08, 2008

on my radar: succeeding in failure


I'm getting pretty tired of VH-1 these days.

At one point (they too showed videos...) their reality stuff was kinda cool and funny and different; who'd ever think a show about "Flava Flav" or that stupid "Brady" boy or "Chachi", sucking as a bachelor, or Brett Michaels, finding more women in throwback outfits and behavior from the 80's, or a hootchie mama named "New York", would ever engage an audience of more than 4 drunk fraternity member or rejects from the casting of Jerry Springer?

Well kick me off Tempation Island and slap me upside the head with a Variety magazine and call me "out of touch"; those shows were cable hits! So what do those "reality god that be" decide for a follow-up act? Cloning! They have embraced the mantra of, "Let's clone the "effe" out of those MoFo shows! More of the same crap must be better!" And so you get "Rock of Love Two", "Flava 3", e.g..

What message does this send to anyone? Do you really think Flava will find new love if it means he won't get another season? These reality fools live and breathe TV exposure, trusting one day they'll be as big as they were when lightening struck that one time before. Will Brett quit trying to find the right person if every season he's spoon fed 20 bimbo's clad in nothing but peroxide and bandana's? Hell no! So please Mr. VH-1 dude, quit rewarding their failures with more chances at success.

And speaking of continual failures, did ya catch this dandy of a mug shot? Way to go Heidi Fleiss, and she was once a madam? Ya miss this Charlie Sheen?

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh good lord... poor thing.

There is SO much 'reality' I'm beginning to question... I don't know. My sanity? The point in television? Wait... that's a step too far.

Radioactive Tori said...

Sad is...that I have watched all of the shows you named except one. I watch them in disbelief that people would go on tv and act like that for other people to see. Incredible, but the fact that I am watching is why they are still on, right?

EF said...

Carrie- That's just too big of a leap for me to take at once...another 5 months of reality TV, I might be the first to throw my tv out the window or seek assistance.

Radio- that's the kicker for me too! I'm sitting there, dumbfounded at the foolishness of it, until I realize I am still watching!

brandy said...

I'm sorry. I can't focus on anything you actually typed because I'm concerned with the photo that's up. Is Heidi's face caving in?

Oh how the mighty fall.

EF said...

Brandy- I was wondering if her plastic surgeon was Dr Jan Adams!

Princess Pointful said...

It's as though people purposely grimace most fouly (that should be a word, even if it's not) for their mug shot. I would do something saucy like a wink!

EF said...

Princess- I am so with you, given the wide distribution these pics tend to achieve, I'd want to look my best. See this is where Paris really jumps to the front of the line, she had a fab mugshot!