Friday, February 29, 2008

on my radar: Leapster

How does adding one single, lonely, February day to the year, once every for years, correlate to the concept of moving (or progressing) forward, such as a "leap?" Adding a day to the calendar is contrary to leaping forward, infact, it's delaying the process of time marching forward in a civil and steady manner! Feb. 29th is actually a regression, a delay, a step back in the movement of time, a hiccup in the perpetual motion of the "pendulum arcing of our lives." When I say, "Mother may I take two steps forward?" and I am told, "No, but you can add one more day," that does not get me nearer to my target! Regardless of quantums or faiths or frogs, being put in a holding pattern for one more day does not make for a leap!! Along the lines of a "drive way", which you don't drive on (you park), or "gingerbread men", who are cookies, not breads, or "Starr Jones", who is not a star, Leap year is another misnomer! Why don't we call it what it is and rename today "extra" or "just one more" or "super-sized February day?" Or, if we were really lucky, we'd get to call it "holiday" and always get this day off! That would make me dance like there was no tomorrow and leap for joy!

4 comments:

Airam said...

This post was all kinds of awesome.

Carrie said...

I concur with airam.

EF said...

Why thank ya kindly, ladies! I'd like to think that even though I really don't get superdelgates and caucuses, I can understand what is in a name, ala Shakespeare and so the whole "leap" thing throws me!

Radioactive Tori said...

I love this post! My kids also were expressing doubt about the name of the day. My 7 year old daughter came up with the same "holiday" solution you have. That would be a great way to celebrate the extra day!