Friday, August 17, 2007

on my radar: splitting (nappy) hairs

While reading the news today, I had a "Mirror Glass" moment that made me think I had stumbled through the paper and ended up in "Ally McBeal" land. No, this had nothing to do with too skinny people, it had to do with zany, frivolous lawsuits.

If I were to ask yo who Kia Vaughn is, who could answer? Anyone? Anyone?

Here's the answer:

Kia Vaughn is a member of the Rutgers women’s basketball team who is now suing Don Imus and CBS, claiming the radio personality’s sexist and racist comments about the team damaged her reputation. Vaughn’s lawsuit, believed to be the first by a player in the case, says Imus and his former co-host Bernard McGuirk, along with CBS Corp. and CBS Radio, are legally responsible for damage done to her character and reputation. There is no dollar amount listed in the suit

Excuse me? Me thinks a tad bit of ego and a lot of foolish advise has gone to her head!
How can someone, who 99/100 people have no clue who she is, better yet recollect and align Imus' comments to her specifically, claim defamation and damage to character? Who knows her character, and more honestly, who cares? And brutually, who follows Imus?

Did he say her specifically? I think not! She outed herself on Oprah as a spokesperson for the team, but that was after the fact; she the one who made herself a "face" for the team. Trust me, before they spoke up, outside of close friends and family, nobody knew who Rutger's players were.

Now, granted the comments were just stupid, but we all have a right to stupidity under the 1st Bush Amendment; and she has a right to stand up and call him out for his foolishness, but me thinks nobody ever took 2 cents to Imus' words and went out and treated any of the women, or Kia specifically, different than they would have before the comments were made. This just sounds like an ill-fated attempt to "get even"...hadn't most everyone all ready forgotten the whole thing? Could anyone outside of Rutger's remember what team Imus' referenced?

I wonder, does Kia have a dad who lost his pants at a dry cleaner in DC?

1 comment:

armalicious said...

Seriously? yeah...honestly I had completely forgotten about Imus! He was foolish to say those things, but he is human. But those foolish words damaged her reputation? How?? In what way? I would think that the reaction of the country to Imus' stupidity would have helped their reputation. I don't know how to explain what I mean by that either. But I don't get how she's suing Imus and CBS...people are too damn quick to with the lawsuits anymore. It's redonkulous.