Tuesday, August 28, 2007

on my radar: the "wide stance" defense


Shot to the heart and you're to blame,

Republicans are giving homosexuals a bad name!


Talk about a quandary! On one side you have these men (lately they've been high ranking Republicans: Larry Craig, Bob Allen, and Mark Foley) who spout hate and propose laws to oppress minorities but then get caught with their pants down in public restrooms (or chat rooms) with other men. These men deny any wrong doing, but are caught in the act of homosexual activities (the very same stuff they are writing laws against), most news watching people then determine these men are "closeted" gays and whitewash a whole segment of the population (the gay community) talking about "deviant behaviors", and yet these "exposed" men (save George Michael) don't profess to being gay...and so the people who suffer from the behavior of these men are the gays.


And thus you get to the other side of the issue; why does the gay community take a hit every time a Republican gets busted for inappropriate homosexual activity? It's kinda like an alcoholic Senator who pushes for prohibition and then gets caught drunk at a speakeasy...kinda.


My favorite quote from the story (from CNN) "When the police interviewed him later, the senator said that "he has a wide stance when going to the bathroom" and that was why his foot may have touched the officer's, the report said."


Stand back, he's got a wide stance!!!! Hate to know what's he's having for lunch...

6 comments:

armalicious said...

"...kinda."

I don't know why that made me giggle, but it did.

I think I get what you're saying, though, with your analogy. The way these people are reacting to what they are being "caught" doing is what is giving this bad stigma to the gay community (or the alcohol in the case of your speakeasy analogy). If the activity in which they are taking part in is inappropriate (whether it be homosexual or heterosexual), the inappropriateness of the activity should be what is focused on. Not the sexual preference itself. So, yeah...a Republican is caught cheating on his wife with another man. The cheating should be what is considered bad. Not that he's with another man.

Is that kinda what you meant? Or am I way off base?

Radioactive Tori said...

I agree with arm. People seem to always focus on the part that isn't the actual bad part. Like if I beat my kids with a brick, they would focus on the brick and say what color it is, and go into great detail about that brick instead of just focusing on the actual problem which was the beating. (Not that I would ever, ever even dream of hurting any of my kids, I hope that is understood and common knowledge!)

EF said...

You two got it! It doesn't matter what he deems himself, he broke the law acting inappropriately: gay, confused, or otherwise doesn't matter...that should be the focus!
Now the issue of how he was throwing around (read:abusing privileges)his Senate ID at the time of the arrest compounds his problems!

Radioactive Tori said...

I tagged you for a meme that you don't have to do, but I think it would be cool if you did. Either way...I was thinking about you today. Hope you are doing well!

egan said...

Thanks for your take on this. I think this guy has done a huge disservice to the gay community and you illustrated so well why.

P.S. we got two packages from you today. Thanks bro!

EF said...

Eg...hope you enjoy the stuff before Anna does!

Radio....forgive me, but what's a meme?