Monday, July 30, 2007

onmy radar: the unbearable lightness of truth


~the lightning crashes, and a young man cries

his innocents falls to floor

the FCC opens it's eyes

the confusion sets in

before TV viewers change the channel once more~~


Damn! Damn I say! Who can you believe in these days when it comes to TV? What reality is reality TV? My frustration comes from the fact that the Discovery show I was getting hooked on has now been "Emporized", as in the Emperor's new clothes, being revealed to be nothing but a sham.

"Man vs. Wild", with host and survivor extraordinaire Bear Grylls, was created with a simple premise, dump Bear somewhere in the wilds and see how he makes it out on his own. I watched him drink his own pee, squeeze water from crap, eat salmon raw (kinda like sushi), and chow down on a host of bugs and nasty critters...all to save him and allow him to get out safely. The show strongly creates the impression (illusion I guess) of him on his own, camera crew not interfering, just out there till he can get to the roads of safety.


Now it has been learned that much of that is staged, with him staying in hotels some nights and eating during the breaks from filming! In the name of James Frey, what is going on here!!


This so bums me out! It changes the whole outlook of the show! Damn! Another one bites the dust! Next I bet there's never going to be a golden ticket in my Wonka bar wrapper!

7 comments:

Airam said...

I was totally singing the first few sentences of your post to the tune of Lightning Crashes!

EF said...

perfect...that was the effect I was hoping for! Or I was going to try and swing a rewriting of "Blue Sky Mining!"

armalicious said...

My friend still thinks Lost is a reality show.

Is that true about Bear? That is a bummer.

How was London?

EF said...

ARM-if there was more sex LOST could be almost mistake for Temptation Island (or maybe the real life Gilligan's Island). London was wet! Now in Miami, which is also wet- just about 25 degrees hotter and more humid!

egan said...

All lies, I refuse to believe it's staged.

EF said...

Eg- you I feared the most to read this...innocents lost. What stories will you ever be able to share with Anna of this loss?

megabrooke said...

i refuse to believe it as well. i dont even get the chance to catch all the episodes, but i google images of bear daily. mmmmm.